WHY CHOOSE TILE?
Ceramic tile has been around for centuries. With today's technology, manufacturers have created new design and application possibilities that were not available a decade ago. If you have never lived with ceramic tile before, you will be amazed at the wide selection of colors, sizes, shapes, and new textures that are now available.
Along with its versatility, tile is also extremely durable and water-resistant, making it an ideal flooring solution in active homes. It also has many commercial applications.
WE carry the top name brands in TILE
ABOUT YOUR GLAZED TILE
Ceramic tile is made from a mixture of special white, brown & red clays & other natural materials including pyrophyllite, rock & flint pressed into shape, glazed & kiln-fire at temperatures as high as 2,100 degrees Fahrenheit. Porcelain tile is the same in this regard, except its makeup includes feldspar, a type of crystal that gives a glossy, glass-like look. Both are extremely durable & water-resistant, making them ideal in kitchens and bathrooms.
Because it’s made of natural materials, ceramic tile is non-toxic & environmentally safe. Glaze on a ceramic tile is the result of a high-temperature kiln melting sand & other ingredients onto the tile body, making the tile impervious.
Because of the different composition, glazes, surface textures & gloss levels available, some ceramic tiles are more suitable for specific uses than others. Your design consultant can provide you with a product that will best suit your individual needs.
CHARACTERISTICS OF NATURAL STONE TILE
Natural stone stile is cut from carefully selected stone blocks, quarried from Mother Earth. No two pieces will never be the same, and as a natural product it will contain blemishes. When stone is extracted from the source, the veining shading, & color will have extreme variation from one part of a mountain to another as a result of minor amounts of mineral substances deposited during formation. This gives each tile a pattern of its own.
Some of the most popular types of natural stone tile include:
- Marble, which is a metamorphic rock that has a crystal-like texture. It is hard and compact and is popular in bathrooms. It is more susceptible to staining.
- Slate, which is strong and weather-resistant, making it a popular choice for outdoor applications. It's also commonly used in roof construction.
- Limestone, which is made up of calcium carbonate and can be categorized as hard or soft. It has a striking appearance with many variations. It is more porous.
- Travertine, which is a type of limestone. It lends a very naturalistic look to any space, and it is commonly used to make bathtubs.
- Granite, which is tough and not very porous, making it ideal for countertops and outdoor applications. It ranges in color depending on mineral content.
- Quartz, which is quartz sandstone exposed to heat and pressure. It is very stain resistant. While quartz cost more, there is no finer option for countertops.
Tile Care & Maintenance
While tough and durable, tile does have some specific care requirements.
Tile installation can be complex and messy, which is why we recommend trusting the pros at Great Floors. Learn more about the tile installation process!