All about hardwood installation
Prior to installation, please ensure that the following tasks have been completed.
- Doors must be removed if they are in an area where new flooring will impact their movement (i.e. closets, adjoining rooms, etc.). There is always the possibility that a door may not clear the new hardwood floor, which may require a carpenter to shave the bottom.
- Furniture & furnishings must be moved off the existing floor (if it is to be replaced) or from the area where new flooring is to be placed. We can do it for you for an additional charge.
- Fixtures such as radiators, railings, etc. normally have flooring installed around them. Should you wish to have your flooring extend under these items, please have them removed prior to the arrival of the installer.
- Wires for televisions, stereos, telephones, et.c must be moved away from the installation area prior to the arrival of the installer.
- Closets & china cabinets must be emptied of their contents.
- Electricity via access to electrical outlets & proper lighting must be available for good installation.
- Indoor climate must be set to at least 68 degrees Fahrenheit for at least 48 hours prior to your installers’ arrival in cold weather.
- Floor preparation for solid hardwood includes acclimation for up 2 to 14 days at a consistent indoor temperature between 68- & 80-degrees Fahrenheit. Solid hardwood much be installed above grade & not over concrete.
- Moulding should be removed. If our installers remove floor mouldings, we cannot be responsible for damage to either the moulding or the wall behind the moulding. While our installers will make every effort ot avoid creating scuff marks on walls or floorboards, we suggest that you have a small amount of touch-up paint available to cover these marks after installation. Hardwood requires a ¼ inch space around the perimeter of the room & next to walls, islands, peninsulas & door jambs for expansion. Quarter round moulding may be required at additional owner expense.
- Glue down floors require a smooth surface with no cracks or other damage.
- Squeaky floors as a result of hardwood flooring installation are not our responsibility.
- Cracks result from natural expansion & contraction of wood and may be noticeable. During warm, humid weather, wood expands. During dry weather, wood contracts. This seasonal movement is a normal characteristic of wood flooring, and it never stops, regardless of the age of the wood. One of the best ways to ensure that wood flooring will give you the performance you expect is to install humidity controls & ensure that they are functioning before the floor is installed.
- Estimates may need to be revised because of unforeseen damage to subfloors, which is not possible to see until the existing flooring has been removed. You will be notified if wet subfloors, water or pet damage, or any similar condition is discovered. On special order materials, we will keep you informed of any mill production delays.
- Shortages & overages our not our responsibility if Great Floors did not measure your job. We cannot return any altered remnants to our inventory.
- Pre-existing flooring should be removed at least one day before installation for proper cleanup & floor preparation.
- Cleanup of inevitable waste is usually done by your installer. We’ll collect waste & leave it at your trash collection site. Hauling waste away is usually an additional cost.
If the acclimation & preparation guidelines are not met and humidity level is not maintained at a minimum of 35%, Great Floors cannot assume any responsibilities arising from product failure and the manufacturer’s warranty is voided.
ADDED GREAT FLOORS SERVICES
Great Floors offer the following services for an additional fee. Check with your sales associate for costs for your project.
- We’ll remove & dispose of existing flooring material.
- We’ll prepare your site for new flooring.
- We’ll remove & replace floor moulding & doors.
- We’ll move & replace heavy furniture & appliances.*
*If using this service, you must empty drawers, bookcases & refrigerators as well as drain waterbeds. Great Floors will not do any plumbing, gas, or electrical work including connecting or disconnecting icemakers, dishwashers or gas lines. We will not move organs, pianos, pool tables, grandfather clocks, aquariums, stereos, computers, firearms, collectibles or fragile items. Ask your sales associate for details.
AFTER HARDWOOD INSTALLATION
A few things to ensure your floor performs at its best:
- Keep traffic light for at least 24 hours so any adhesive has a chance to dry.
- Sweep & vacuum regularly.
- Support furnishings with wide-bearing, non-staining hard plastic floor protectors. Even high heels can damage your floor.
- Always use strips of wood or heavy cardboard to protect your floor when moving heavy furniture or appliances.
- Carpet with jute or Actionbak can scratch or damage your floor if used as a mat without a cushion under it.